Amharic is a language spoken by over 25 million people and native to Ethiopia. Amharic, taught by Hirut Kollech, will help you fulfill your language requirement while learning the Amharic language, the unique Amharic script, and all about Ethiopian culture. This course will be valuable for those interested in linguistics, international studies, African studies, and those who want to learn just for fun! Study Amharic at the University of Pittsburgh!
Two levels of Amharic instruction are currently offered at the University of Pittsburgh. For more information, including course times and course descriptions, please click here.
Why Study Amharic?
- To know the second most spoken semitic language, following Arabic
- To be able to read the very unique Amharic fidel
- To enhance your studies in linguistics, politics, anthropology, history, and international business
Use Amharic to Earn Pitt Credentials
- African Studies Certificate
- Global Studies Certificate
- General Education Requirements
- Linguistics Major Language Requirement